Tuesday, September 6, 2016


It's been almost five months since I got home from London and I'm settling in nicely to my last semester at UH Manoa. If someone told me I could finish my last semester abroad, I would have my bag packed in less than 10 minutes and be ready to leave. 

If there is any advice, or words of wisdom, I could give to prospective future study abroad students it would be...

1. Pack light. You may think you need every comfort from home, but the truth is, you'll find comforts in your host country.
 
2. It will be the single most exciting experience of your life so far.

3. The experiences you will have will by far outweigh the fear of the unknown.

4. People in other countries love to show off their country, customs, and food. Especially the food!

5. Public transportation is much easier than you think.

6. Prepare to dress in layers and if you're going to Europe for the spring semester, take waterproof shoes (boots) and a warm, Gortex coat. I traveled from Ohio, where it was 20* to London where it was 40* thinking I would be 20* warmer. Not so much. The difference is, London gets arctic winds and Ohio doesn't. London is cold. But amazing! 

7. At the University of Roehampton in London, the professors have always been highly impressed with American study abroad students and take the time to make sure they're on track and following the curriculum.

8. Just jump. Take the plunge. Step out of your comfort zone and experience university in a place where things are run different and people think different. Experience America from another continent with people who have only experienced America from afar. Learning about how foreigners see us, and our country was a HUGE eye opener!

The single most important lesson I learned in London is that people truly are good and friendly. Besides Big Ben, what I miss most are the people. I miss my flatmates, and my classmates, and the people on the tube, and the shop owners, and the audience in the theater, and the people in the parks, and the people who work at the castles, and my list can go on and on and on. 

Prior to leaving for London I researched and researched and researched. I wanted to be completely prepared because I'm not a fan of surprises. Some of the things I read were...

1. People don't talk on the Tube (the underground train). People do talk on the train. Some sat quietly and read the newspaper or some form of ebook, but most, if they were with others, they had ordinary conversations. Most were respectful of the people around them and kept their conversations to a normal level, however, after a big "football" game, there were always a crown of inebriated  young adults sporting their favorite team's jersey, and acting a bit more rowdy than normal. It's all in good fun.

2. People in Europe dress better than Americans and would never be seen out and about in sweatpants (or trackies as they call them). There was absolutely no difference in the way a normal American dresses vs. the way they dress in London.

3. Paris is dirty and the people are rude. I spent a week in Paris and found it to be no dirtier than any other large city. The people there were more than friendly (except for one American at the Eiffel Tower who had no sense of humor). The only french I know are ballet terms so that was no help, but the people were never rude because I don't speak their language. They tried very hard to help me understand and teach me a few key words and phrases.
I wish I could say the same thing about Rome. Rome was filthy and the people are extremely rude. Except for the nun at the UPS store :-) 

So set any and all fears aside and get ready for the biggest adventure in your college career!



No comments:

Post a Comment