Monday, February 8, 2016

My Fifth Week in London

Another week down already???  Time is going by WAY TOO FAST!

It has been an amazing five weeks so far, but I need to take this time to vent just a little bit.

As I posted a few weeks ago, Asda (the local Walmart store) offers home delivery. I love everything about this, except for one thing; I have to have a UK phone number and a UK billing address for my credit card. I recently purchased a small, pay-as-you-go cell phone so I would have a UK phone number. The UK billing address is a problem. I have ordered from various places online since I got here and none of them require my billing address to be in the UK. I don’t understand why this matters. I am giving them money for their product, so where my bill is delivered shouldn’t be an issue.

Speaking of the pay-as-you-go phone; I went to their website to top it up (add money) and guess what, I can’t top it up online because I don’t have a UK credit card!  Why, why, why does this matter?

I will be calling both places tomorrow to find out how (or if) I can solve these issues without getting a UK credit card.

Moving on…

My group in People and Organizations turned in our project today. We made an academic poster detailing the motivation techniques of Parker Hannifin Corp. and wrote a summary report to go with it. It looked pretty amazing and I hope we get good marks for all of the work we put in. 

My project for Project Management is much more detailed and due next Monday. Our group meets nearly everyday to coordinate our presentation and I think it's going to be informative and exciting. I hope our class enjoys it. Both of my groups have worked together extraordinarily well and I’m very thankful they are as motivated as I am.

This weekend I was exposed to three days of new places and new experiences. Friday evening, with the other University of Hawaii students and our University of Hawaii professor, I went to the Library Lounge in the Marriott Hotel for High Tea and then to the National Theater to see Shakespeare's As You Like It. High Tea was everything I thought it would be. The room had bookshelves everywhere filled with books and a view of Big Ben out the window. That's my kind of room! We had our choice of one of many flavors of tea and were served finger sandwiches, cakes and pastries and scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserves. It was delicious!

Saturday, with the social program, I took a trip to Stonehenge and Bath. We boarded a coach from the Embankment Tub Station and rode through the english countryside to Stonehenge. It is out in the middle of nowhere. There were pig farms and sheep farms and that's about it. The weather was very nice except for the gale force winds that just about blew me away. Stonehenge itself is a spectacular scene. There are many theories about it, but I believe it was built as a calendar. After spending about an hour at Stonehenge, we boarded the coach, traveled through more english countryside until we reached Bath. The city is built in what seems like a valley and all of the buildings are made from the same pink hued limestone. We ate lunch on the main thoroughfare and then headed to the Roman Baths. Stones from 836 BC were preserved. 836 BC!! I still can't believe I saw, with my very own eyes, stones dating back to 836 BC.  The baths themselves were pretty disgusting and I have a feeling they did more harm than good when the Romans and English bathed in them. There is a very strong sulfur smell. Unfortunately, we only had two hours in Bath so I wasn't able to go on the Jane Austen tour. Maybe next time.

Sunday was perhaps my favorite day. I went on the Harry Potter Experience with the social program. We boarded a coach from King's Cross, after visiting Platform 9 3/4 of course, and took a tour of filming sites around London. Then we rode out to Warner Bros. Studio and toured the old airfield and factory that had been transformed into huge Harry Potter "scrapbook." Everything from the smallest prop to the Hogwarts Express was in the movie. These were not remakes. These were IN the movie. I was overwhelmed with the amount of "stuff" that is needed to make a movie and the number of people involved in the process. Oh to be in THAT finance department!














This weekend I have a trip to Ireland planned with the social program. It’s going to be very exciting!!! 

More next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment