Monday, January 11, 2016

My first week in London

The last six weeks have been filled with holidays and travel preparations. And now I'm here!  In London! Sometimes I have to look around and remind myself that I am really here. It has been a very busy 5 days. I flew into Heathrow last Wednesday, waited a short time with the rest of the Roehampton Study Abroad students from all over the world for a coach to drive us to Roehampton, and went directly to check-in to get my room key, kitchen pack and bedroom pack. They gave us basic kitchen utensils, a duvet, a pillow and a fitted sheet. I was shown to my room and left to unpack and get settled. I was happy for the peace and quiet, but hungry. Nobody told me where the food was and in my excitement, I forgot to ask. The next three days were filled with orientation. We had meetings, a campus tour, and the most fun event...Photo Frenzy! We got into groups of about six and were given a packet with our group number, instructions, and 10 clues. We had to solve the clues to find a location somewhere in London and then make our way around public transportation to get there and take a group selfie.  It was the perfect way to get a small taste of a magnificent city while getting comfortable with busses and trains.
Today was the first day of instruction. Project Management lecture went from 1:00 - 2:00 and the seminar from 4:00 - 6:00. The way classes are run here is very interesting. Lecture is just what it sounds like, a lecture. There are seven different seminar times which split the lecture class into seven groups. There were approximately 25 students in each seminar. Here we got an overview of the class expectations, discussed what was talked about in the lecture, and went into groups of four to start dialog about what project we would be interested in researching for a presentation and paper. This will be our only grade for the class. There is a suggested reading list and the books are located in the university library. No books to buy!!  I am looking forward to my class tomorrow; People and Organisations (yes, that's an "s," not a "z"). This class also has a lecture and seminar. I know both of these classes will be instrumental in my business studies and I am so excited that I get to take these experiences back to the University of Hawaii!
Stay tuned for more flummery...





No comments:

Post a Comment